If you are travelling through the United States, you will see different ways of preparing the best American hotdogs. Each state has a unique method. Keep reading to discover some of the best styles of regional hot dogs in the USA.
Ten States with the Best American Hotdogs
Americans consume about 20 billion hotdogs every year. They eat hotdogs everywhere. With all the food that the United States has to offer, you can not deny the popularity of hot dogs. Where, then, can you find the best American hotdogs? We have created a list of ten states below.
- Chicago – They serve the best American hotdogs on poppy seed bread with pickles, mustard, onions, tomatoes, peppers, and connoisseurs. Contrary to general tradition, people don’t add soy sauce to their hot dogs. Pickles are the way to go instead.
- New York – The Big Apple makes hotdogs with sauerkraut, spicy mustard and steamed onions with a tomato paste. It’s a simple recipe that everyone to eat anywhere.
- Atlanta – Atlanta-style hot dogs come on a roll cut into slices, topped with onions and a ton of coleslaw to make them crispy.
- Kansas – Kansas City serves the best American hotdogs in a sesame seed bun with pork sausage, sauerkraut, brown mustard and melted Swiss cheese. It’s partly a sandwich and partly hotdog style.
- Arizona – Mexican cuisine inspired the best American hotdogs in southern Arizona. It blends tomatoes, beans, mustard, mayonnaise, chopped onions and green chilli sauce. The recipe comes from the Mexican state of Sonora.
- New Jersey – People in New Jersey deep-fry their hotdogs in a pizza bread or roll. Then, they top it with onions, potatoes, and peppers.
- California – If you want Chili Dogs, go to Cincinnati. They serve this hotdogs topped with mustard, onions, a ton of cheese, and most importantly, chilli.
- Pennsylvania – Philadelphia Hot Dog vary by location b, t the basic principles are the same. They contain beef, sauerkraut, relish, onions, ketchup, and mustard. You can choose between mild and spicy sauces and have your onions raw or fully cooked.
- Ohio – Cleveland serves hotdogs with French fries, a barbecue or hot sauce and a layer of coleslaw. It is usually done with a hot dog or “kielbasa”, also known as Polish sausage.
More Than Just Ketchup
So there you have it, ten of the best American hot dogs in the United States, by region. If you travel and you are looking for hot dogs of better taste, try them for yourself and see how they differ according to the region. Or if you want to try to prepare them at home, look for a recipe and see what combinations you like best.
It’s not everything is ketchup, mustard and sausage. The truth is that each state makes its type of hotdogs. Wherever you go throughout the United States, you will find the best American hotdogs. You’re probably wondering, how different can they be?